Today, a significant dialogue on “Development and Democracy,” organized by the Education, Research and Development Forum of Bangladesh (ERDFB), was held at the National Press Club. Starting at 10 a.m., this event was a critical get-together of academics to talk about the progress of democracy and growth in Bangladesh.
The event was chaired by Professor Dr. Md. Sajjad Hossain, a University Grants Commission (UGC) member and president of ERDFB.
Speakers and guests
Professor Dr. Kamal Uddin Ahmed, former Vice Chancellor of Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, opened the seminar. As the seminar’s distinguished guest, UGC member Professor Dr. Biswajit Chanda was present. Dr. Md. Anwarul Kabir, a Chittagong University professor in the Department of Accounting, presided over the discussion.
You can also read: Bangladesh secures $765M in loans from New Development Bank
Professor Dr. Md. Kamrul Alam Khan, Vice Chancellor of Bangmata Sheikh Fazilatunnessa University of Science and Technology; Farida Yasmin, President of the National Press Club; and Professor Dr. Selina Akhtar, Vice Chancellor of Rangamati University of Science and Technology, were among the distinguished guests.
Highlights from the seminar
- Professor Dr. Biswajit Chanda highlighted the synergy between the development of Bangladesh and the legacy of Bangabandhu, emphasizing the rapid GDP growth and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s role in following Bangabandhu’s path towards national prosperity.
- ERDFB President Prof. Dr. Sajjad Hossain emphasized the unstoppable progress of development and democracy under Sheikh Hasina’s leadership, foreseeing continued success in the upcoming national elections.
- General Secretary of ERDFB and Vice-Chancellor (Routine Duties) of Barisal University, Prof. Dr. Md. Badruzzaman Bhuiyan, lauded the fast-paced development of Bangladesh under Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s efficient leadership.
- Chief discussant, Professor Dr. Md. Anwarul Kabir, detailed the remarkable economic achievements under Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s tenure, including significant improvements in HDI indicators.
- Farida Yasmin, in her address, praised the radical changes in Bangladesh’s infrastructure and communication systems, attributing these successes to the dedicated efforts of the Sheikh Hasina government.
The event was moderated by Dr. MD. Badruzzaman Bhuiyan. PressXpress was the media partner of the seminar.
The dialogue functions as a significant platform for the exchange of expertise, tactics, and perceptions, thereby enlightening and motivating participants. Engaging in dialogue promotes a more profound comprehension of the obstacles and prospects encountered by the country, thereby fostering an environment that encourages diverse stakeholders to work together towards resolving issues. Such active participation is crucial for the maintenance of the democratic process and the formulation of forthcoming policies that promote holistic and inclusive development. Fundamentally, the seminar serves as a catalyst for enlightened discourse, the development of policies, and active participation from the public; these are all essential components of a prosperous democratic society.
The seminar emphasized the remarkable advancements that Bangladesh has achieved in the realms of democracy and development. The speakers accepted one another’s recognition of the revolutionary governance and forward-thinking policies of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her administration, as the primary reasons for the nation’s advancement. In closing, the seminar provided an outlook on how to sustain this trajectory of democratic stability and expansion.