The newly installed far-right government of Israel, led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, has continued its killing spree with the latest killing of 11 and bullet-injuries to dozens of Palestinians by the rogue Israeli forces in a raid in Nablus, a part of the West Bank city in Palestine that remains occupied by Israel since 1967.
The Palestinian Health Ministry said that at least 102 people were injured in the latest Israeli brutality. Among them, six are in a critical situation. The minister also added that a 66-year-old man died in the hospital after inhaling gas during the raid on Wednesday.
YOU CAN ALSO READ: WHY IS THE WEST SILENT ON WARS BLOODIER THAN UKRAINE-RUSSIA CONFLICT?
As army entered into the Nablus with Special Forces and dozens of armoured vehicles, two opposite parties from Israel and Palestine confronted each-other. The Israeli army surrounded a home in search of two Palestinian fighters and killed themselves. The army blocked the entire route at that time so that the fighter could not run away.
In a statement, the Lions’ Den armed group admitted their engagement in the clashes with Israel. The group pelted the Israeli troops with rocks continuously. The general public also took part in that confrontation.
Brutality at its peak
Since the start of 2023, Israel has killed 61 people, and the number seems to rise further. There were 13 children among those who were killed.
The spokesman of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, Nabil Abu Rudeineh, said about the attack that they condemn the continuous raid of the occupational forces on the general population of Palestine and they want an end to this brutality.
There was a video posted on the online media showing that the Israeli Army shot down two Palestinians who were trying to run away. After being hit by the shots, both people collapsed and died.
The political parties of Palestine announced a general strike in response to the attack by Israel, and these parties are calling on the masses to come out of their homes and protest against the occupation of Israel.
Last year, the Israeli Army killed a total of 171 Palestinians in the West Bank, of whom 30 were children.
Who are behind Lions’ Den armed group?
The Lions’ Den armed group is a Palestinian warrior team that used to fight against the Israeli occupational forces and the forces that are in support of Israel regarding occupying Palestine. The group is led by young guys in their 20s who are members of four different Palestinian political groups: Hamas, Fatah, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, and Islamic Jihad.
Though the members of this Lions’ Den armed group belong to different political parties, they turned their backs on disputes arising from functional matters. Rather, they focus mainly on fighting against the Israeli occupational forces.
This group was formed in September at a memorial for two Nablus fighters who were killed by Israeli forces. Despite Israel’s efforts to bring this group down with the “Break the Wave” operation, the group continues to lead its activities in and around Palestine.
Why are there constant clashes in West Bank?
The West Bank is a former part of Palestine that was administered by Jordan from 1949 until 1967, when it was taken over by Israeli occupation forces.
From the mid-19th century, Israel started to claim its rights in the West Bank, indicating historical and religious factors. According to them, the West Bank is the land of their ancestors, who were Jewish by religion. In any deal made with Palestine, Israel claimed to maintain its occupation of the West Bank, regardless of time or whether annexation occurred or not. Israel has established settlements inside the West Bank for its Jewish citizens which is deemed illegal according to United Nation’s charter.
Israel demands their right here for the West Bank’s biblical names, “Judaea and Samaria.” The West Bank’s most important cities are Nablus, Herbon, Jericho, and Bethlehem.
International Concerns about Raid and Settlement Issue
The spokesman for the US State Department told reporters that the US recognises the security concerns facing Israel. But, at the same time, it is expressing deep concern over the attack on civilians and the killing of people indiscriminately. According to a report, Israel receives at least $3.8 billion in military aid from Washington annually.
Before that, the US expressed its concern and dismay over Israel’s settlement in a statement that replaced a draught resolution.
The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) said in a meeting that the ongoing settlement activities of Israel are raising concerns over the two-state solution based on the 1967 dispute.
After this concern by the council, the Palestinian Envoy to the UN, Riyad Mansour, told reporters that “Palestine is amused to get a strong, united message from the council against the illegal activities of Israel.”
The executive director of the Arab Center Washington DC, Khalil Jahshan, who is referred there as a think tank, said that any statements against Israeli brutal policies without taking proper actions are “meaningless.”
He added that it is well known in Israel that this statement is just a mere expression of dissatisfaction, and no actions will follow this concern. Whether it is “regret” or “deep concern,” it has no applicability, as the administration will do nothing against Israel and hold this country responsible for all the brutalities against the Palestinian people.